Error: Result Code: 8 Virtual Server Migration ToolKit (VSMT) Virtual Server 2005
A few weeks ago I was performing a few P2V (Physical to Virtual) Migrations on a contract for a company we will leave unnamed. using my laptop, Which I had ADS and Virtual Server installed on, I successfully captured 3 physical machines and ported them to virtual images for use in Virtual Server 2005. Server consolidation is amazing! but anyway, the last machine I was doing for them gave me quite a few problems, so I end up asking M$ for support. I knew the issue had something to do with a driver, and I narrowed it down to NIC or SCSI on my own. So after being on the phone with M.$ for 3 hours, they helped me determine what I had already known, and they were going to look into this further. while waiting for them to get back to me, I decided to try and find a work around. I noticed an EISA partition before the C:\ partition. I didn’t want to remove it, and even if I did… would it ever boot again? So my solution?
I worked around the problem by added an 80GB IDE Drive!
I used a disk cloning tool to clone the SCSI 36GB to the 80GB IDE. I then shutdown, removed the SCSI drives, booted onto the 80GB. While in Windows I modified the boot.ini to boot from the first partition, rebooted and pressed any key to boot from a the Windows 2003 CD… I removed the EISA drive during setup. Once the drive was removed, I reset and was able to successfully boot into Windows on the 80GB with no EISA drive!
After this was complete, I ran the “hwgather” to regenerate a new XML with the correct hardware info, regenerated the P2V files using VSMT, and the ADS deployment was 100% successful! Yay!
In order to get this done I had to rig up another ATX power supply (Jump pins 14 and 15) to power the IDE drive, so I took the server home to complete this, and it was much faster performing the disk capture over a GB Ethernet anyway
Unfortunately I realize my solution really didn’t help determine what the original problem was, but I’m more than sure we can chalk this up to the SCSI drivers or the ESRIA drive partition, after using 6+ different drivers that I had found on-line, I just gave up!
The error while trying to pull the migration was:
===>Remote job output:180
<===Remote job output
Error: Result Code: 8
Error occured, exiting (8)